Monday, September 15, 2014

FRENCH LEICA CONNECTION - SOLENN HERVOUET




Today I have the pleasure to introduce French Leica Photographer Solenn Hervouet to the readers of the Leica Barnack Berek Blog.  He recently submitted a variety of photographs to be published.  Besides Leica equipment he also uses a variety of other camera makes and lenses.  Many of lenses by other manufacturers have been adapted for use on his Leica equipment.  For today’s gallery I have selected images that were mostly shot with Leica lenses, but I have included two excellent images that were taken with a Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5.

Solenn Hervouet writes about himself:

Some background info (not that much, I'm still a young man):

I'm 32, I live in France and I'm an engineer in scientific computing. I'm currently moving from Paris to Bordeaux, I was born in St Nazaire
(see www.flickr.com/photos/63722156@N04/sets/72157628916422967/). I worked for the automotive industry (Renault) and currently in the aerospace industry. I discovered photography at 25, with my dad's old Nikon F. Mostly by accident: I gave it for repairs as my father had problems with it, and when it came back working I tried it with an old Kodak Gold film. It was in May in Paris, the weather was nice, and I was instantly hooked. Sometime after, it ceased working again.

From there, I began with Nikon gear, and quickly went to Leica as I like its design, feeling and simplicity. I also began to love old classic German cameras : Contax, Exakta, Rolleiflex, ... I like the feeling of the chrome, engraved metal and leather. I'm not really a collector as I like to use my cameras (even if, the more I have, the less I can find time to use them all). I like typical cameras of the 30s/40s/50s : rangefinders, TLRs, SLRs. Their workmanship is impressive, and cannot be matched today. I even have a pair of Speed/Crown Graphic that I should use more. I'm always surprised of the quality of the pictures, as I often do not like the "clinical" sharpness of the more modern cameras.

I do use in parallel digital and classic cameras, as I have not learned the wet print process. I scan my films; it does not bother me as I'm used to work with computers. I don't oppose digital/film, they can work nicely together.

I still have a lot to learn in the technical part of the photography process. And I do not have a good photographic culture either. I just do what I like, walking around with some nice cameras. I'm still wondering what I can do with a camera, what "style" really means...

I would say he is well on the way to being an excellent photographer.

 
Leica M4, Summilux 35mm f/1.4

 
Leica M4, Summilux 35mm f/1.4

 
Leica M8, 135mm Elmarit f/2.8

 
Leica M8, Summilux 35mm f/1.4

 
Leica M8. Summilux 35mm f/1.4

 
Leica M8, Summilux 50mm f/1.4

 
Leica M8, Summilux 50mm f/1.4

 
Leica M8, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5

 

Leica M8, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please make payment via PayPal to GMP Photography
Click on ad to enlarge

Please make payment via PayPal to GMP Photography
Click on ad to enlarge

Please make payment via PayPal to GMP Photography




1 comment:

  1. Excellent images, especially for someone that considers himself an amateur.

    ReplyDelete